Thursday, May 29, 2008

De Ridder is Prounounced Dare-idder

Stopped at the De Ridder public Library for my first shot at internets. Started raining on my way out. Half a block from the library the curator of the De Ridder museum flagged me down and offered me coffee and a croissant. Never one to shun black gold I accepted and we talked a spell. I do believe the one gay man in De Ridder La did try and pick me up. He asked me what my line of work was and I told him wandering. He replied that he would have pegged me for a male model. Now I haven’t showered in two days or shaved in five… When he invited me to stop at his place anytime for a, “Toddy for the Body” I decided it was time to move on.

Rhet of White Sand Canoe Rental in Mittie LA, was kind enough to let me pitch tent in the field he stores the canoes in, even though he doesn’t operate a campground anymore. When the rain started coming down proper he was good enough to provide hot food, cold beer, and several hours of good natured bull shittin on the porch of his cafĂ©. When all was said and done I needed waders to get back to my tent, and not because of the rain…

No comments: