Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Mayor of Centreville

It's one hundred miles down the road to the next marked campsite, but the office of the camp I stayed at last night doesn't open till eleven. I coulda left out at dawn, but I have to keep up the goodwill for the cyclists what come after me. Besides I got a hot shower, some free lean cuisine, and a copy of Steinbeck's Travels with Charley out of the deal, so I came out on top. Since I couldn't make the mileage today I called the Centreville police station about fifty miles down the road and asked about camping on public land. "Hang on son," said the officer, "Lemme just ask the Mayor... Yeah come on through, Mayor says you can camp outside city hall." So tonight I get to camp free outside of Centreville Mississippi's city hall, by mayoral decree. Sometimes all you have to do is ask polite-like...

1 comment:

Lady of the Woods said...

"God is in the details."
When you get a chance would you please post a list of everything you are carrying with you? Enquiring minds and all . . .