Thursday, May 29, 2008

I'm a Level Seven Hobo, Chaotic Neutral.

To quote Patton Oswald, "Sometimes my nerdiness gets in the way of my dorkiness."

I gained 15 xp from sleeping in the city park. What kind of magical fairyland is this where joggers apologize for waking up a bum in the park? It must be my mithril sleeping bag (+3 warmth +2 charisma). When I become a level ten hobo I'll be able to cast trashcan fires at will, and at level fifteen people will just start handing me money, but they won't know why. Time to pack up camp and get a cup of coffee (+1 humanness).

After Lunch

I must be doing something right. Ten miles and one big ass river from my campsite I learn the Mississipi river ferry is out for some undetermined amount of time. I'd have to make the ninety mile detour through Baton Rouge. Now I'd allready gone forty-five miles today, and I did't have another ninety in me, or enough daylight left for that matter. I stopped outside of a service station on the Baton Rouge route and waited. Mr. Ronnie Plauche talked with me for a while about his younger days long distance hiking, and then he hand drew me a map of the old river road so I could get to Baton Rouge without going down hwy 190. Then he gave me twenty dollars!!! (plus one hobo level all at once.) John Dixon took me the fifty-five miles into Baton Rouge in his pickup. I think he gave me a ride mostly so he could figure out why I was doing what I was doing. "But what possessed you?" was phrased in a variety of ways that hour. I did some confused riding in B.R. during rush hour till I found my route. Then I rode thirty five miles off into the sunset down Hwy 61! Awesome! It's settled then. Life imitates art.

3 comments:

Strat-O said...

I'd heard the Bobby Dylan song "Highway 61", but that's about it. I did a quick Wiki search and found this bit of trivia:

[...Highway 61, sometimes called the "Blues Highway," stretched from New Orleans through Memphis and from Iowa through Duluth to the Canadian border. It was regularly featured in blues songs, notably Mississippi Fred McDowell's "61 Highway" and James "Son" Thomas's "Highway 61." Bessie Smith met her death in an automobile accident on that roadway; Robert Johnson was said to have sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads of Highway 61 and Highway 49 (itself the subject of a Howlin' Wolf song); Elvis Presley grew up in the housing projects built along it; and Martin Luther King, Jr. would later be murdered at a motel just off Highway 61.

"A lot of great basic American culture came right up that highway and up that river", Robert Shelton told a BBC interviewer. "And as a teenager Dylan had travelled that way on radio. ... Highway 61 became, I think, to him a symbol of freedom, a symbol of movement, a symbol of independence and a chance to get away from a life he didn't want in Hibbing."

While "Like a Rolling Stone" was completed in mid-June of 1965, the rest of the album was recorded with a different producer, Bob Johnston, in four days of sessions shortly after Dylan's legendary appearance at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival; the sessions also produced Dylan's next single, "Positively 4th Street", not included on the LP....]

Strat-O said...

Oops, a bit of overkill there... such is life.

Bill said...

Brilliant