Thursday, May 22, 2008

Officially a Hobo

I'm officially a hobo. I crossed into Merryville Louisianna today, only to discover no camping. However, If I headed six miles back the way I came (in the dark) I could camp on the banks of the Sabine river for free. Six miles later I'm on a sandbank irritably trying to set up camp in the dark. It is going poorly. I stop myself, and remind myself where I am and what I'm doing, and I relax and start to enjoy it. Crawl into bed tired, sweaty, sore, and strangely satisfied. The river is gurgling and I can see every star in the sky. In the distance, train whistles.

2 comments:

Bill said...

Damned good writing; I hope you know how good. Can you post photos here too. Thinking profound thoughts which will sort themselves into sentences eventually. Until then, just know I'm proud of you.

Strat-O said...

I just now remembered that you were probably on your way by now and so you are!

Not much to report from Houston. Late Nite Pie should reopen tomorrow (if the gas meter gets installed according to Mike)

A big white C-130 was seen orbiting Houston this afternoon at about 20,000 feet for about 1 1/2 hours, in a constant left-hand turn. Not sure what that was about, unless it was some pilots doing AC-130 training, but obviously without the gun.

Marlin